Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Snow in South America‏

Standing on the cliff at the peak of one of the Andies mountains that my companion and i had just ran to the top of, i looked out over the endless beauty of Lago Ranco, and i shout as loud as i can. And can hear my voice echoing for miles and miles. It was quite invergorating (Thanks Shell, you´re a doll haha)

(Denton brushing his teeth in what may be the world's smallest bathroom!)




So before i start my email i want to throw out a quote from this week. 
´´It´s a joke right, i´m not really talking to Elder Crockett am I? Because you sound like a latino´´ ´´Well i am from Little Mexico aren´t i´´ (conversation with my zone leader after talking to him on the phone for a couple mins)

Ok so something really important, i need a recipe for a Cheesecake. Not joking. I lost a bet with the relief society and now i need to make them a cheesecake. One of the problems with being the Branch president with your companion is you have to hold up your sides of bets hahaha

So my favorite experience from this week is yesterday i was conducting sacrament meeting in church, And this week i announced the trip to the temple in Santiago that i am planning. And there was one Sister in the ward whose face lit up with the biggest smile, and i don´t know if i have ever seen anyone so happy from something that i have said. And i even know why. This one sister is the reason why we where planning this trip to the temple. About a week or two ago, after church she handed me a letter. And Later that night, as i was finishing up with all the tithing information, i pulled her letter out of my desk and started reading it. And in her letter she expressed to me that she is really concerned about a couple of people in her family, and for some of the people that she home teaches, because they are falling away from the church, and she was telling me that she believes that if they had a goal to work for, that they would be stronger members. And i am not going to lie it was such a touching letter i was almost tearing up. 
 I already had the goal to get all of the active members in the branch with temple recommends, so the idea of planning a trip to the temple was perfect for me. So after church she came up to me and expressed her gratitude, and how excited she was for everyone who was going to have the opportunity to go to the temple. She then told me about how she is going straight to the houses of the families she teaches that where not in church to tell them to good news. You know although this experience i am having in LAgo RAnco is más o menos one of the hardest experiences i´ve had so far, it is definitely a very special one. 
I´ve learned quite a lot about the Atonement and Gods Love for His Children, and His patience for men like me whose weaknesses show more then their strengths. I´m hoping that by the time the Mission President sends me away from LAgo RAnco that i will have become the missionary that God needs me to be.
Now i´m sure that all you want to hear about how much i´ve changed this past week, but i came into quite the realization today when i was traveling to Osorno, that almost all of my letters or emails and junk all of them i sound super stressed out or sad about something or how i just witnessed some incredible miracle and was humbled by it, and i just want to let everyone know that i´m still the same person who left and still talk about normal things. Granted i have matured quite a bit these last 6 months, (especially this last cambio haha) But i just wanted to let you know that even though missionaries come across as spiritual giants who are slightly intimidating with the mass amount of knowledge that we can throw out we are normal people. It´s something i didn´t learn until i was a missionary, but it is in fact true haha 
So Random thought i just had i want to share with you a quote from the other day ´´I didn´t know you speak English, when did you learn it´´ ´´Before the mission listening to Lil´ Wayne´´ ´´You know, that actually explains quite alot´´ (part of a conversation i had with another Elder in my District) 

So today i spent all day in Osorno (with above mentioned Elder) and it was so funny! But first, Osorno is legit, it reminded me so much of New York, only a little smaller, and instead of everyone speaking Chinese, everyone speaks Spanish. It´s legit. One of my favorite things from today is i was walking down a street in Osorno, and i see this statue of a fireman. So i walk up to it, and i see i big bag full of money in front of it, and i was wondering why the heck there was so much money chillin at the feet of this statue. And i looked at the statue, and it was really detailed. It was awesome. 
And then my companion said. Hey you should throw a Peso in that bag there. And i thought ok sure. So i throw a 50 peso coin in the bag, and the statue jumps down off of the pedestal, and i was freaked out. I almost Punched that statue in the face, but then i realized it was just some Chilean in a fireman costume painted all grey. So i gave him a high five, and then he went back up on his pedestal, and turned back into statue mode.. And HE didn´t move. 
So i´m sitting there making faces at him to try to make him laugh or flinch or something, but absolutely nothing. The dudes legit. It would be so hard to be able to do that. Now i understand why there was such a huge pile of money right there haha. Out of all the street performers he was by far the coolest. 
i spent the day walking around the streets of Osorno changing my money from Dollars to Pesos (finally) and a couple other random things, but the whole time i was walking around with Elder Sosa (from Argentina) beat boxing and freestyle rapping. It was legit. I think tomorrow in my district meeting i am going to have to try rapping the First Vision. I only know it in spanish, but thats ok, because everyone in my district is LAtinos but me, so they should appreiciate it. 
Alright Love you all! Thank you so much for all of your support and Emails. Quick shout out to mom and dad. You could ask Dad to bless the home, it´s a priesthood ordinance that i have only done a couple of times, but it really does help with helping feel more secure in the home. And having a break in a couple days after moving in aint exactly the best start to a new life. I think it would be really good for you guys to do. Les Amo!!!! Quiero escribir in Español un poco solo porque me siento un poco extraño escribiendo en inglés. Love you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment