Monday, November 11, 2013

Still sick?

So before i start my story i want to tell you all that i am pretty much almost all the way better kind of haha. But for real i feel fine. But due to something that happened in church the other day no one believes me. And that is where my story starts this week.

Actually background info The Ward Mission leader That i work with is named Brother Gonzalez. And he is awesome. The best ward mission leader ive ever had (in fact the only ive ever had haha) But he has seen all my x rays and my medical reports and everything so he knows that i`ve been a little sick haha. And this last week it literally rained every single day without stopping, so the mission presidents wife told me that i wasnt aloud to leave to work this week due to the rain. And so all of the meetings that i had with Hno Gonzalez this week. have been in my house.

Ok background established

So this Sunday was awesome. I was in my class with Hno Gonzalez with all of my investigators that came to church, when a member of the bishopric walks in with a gringo. And he comes up to me and says. ``Elder Crockett, this man is from the United States, and he was preparing to get baptized before he came here to South America, but he doesnt speak very much spanish, so can you translate everything for him?`And i told him sure. Because i generally feel like a boss when im translating for people haha.

So in our class Hno Gonzalez would teach something, and then i would translate everything he said from spanish into English for this man. Scriptures, examples, questions, testimony, answers, everything i translated everything. But after a little time Hno G starts being a little jerk, and starts speaking super fast, using really strange words, and weird examples just to make it harder for me. (He also speaks some english and so he knew what words dont have easy translations into english) hahaha But to his disappointment i showed him up and did a good job translating everything..

But after the class i talked to the gringo a little bit, and it really makes me want to know how their conversation went with the councilor, because he definitely was not a investigator, or a new convert. He told me that he was baptized at 8, was faithful all his life, served a mission on the east coast of the states, and was here in south America just because he wanted to explore it, and he wanted to learn spanish, and figured wheres a better place to learn spanish then in South America. Which is valid thats how i learned Spanish haha, but granted i know that i had divine help, because becoming fluent in a matter of weeks is something that isnt exactly normal haha.

My story with this man keeps going but i want to get to the good part of my story, about why the ward is so worried about me now.

In Priesthood meeting all of the men where gathered, and there is actually a ton of men in this ward. I didnt even know that many men lived in Chile hahaha, but like any normal Priesthood meeting we were all joking around, the High Priests really like making fun of me, so they make some joke about me, and then i make some smart alek back, and then hit them back with another joke, and so all of us are just messing around, and no one is focused, but we start the meeting, and so i stop messing around with the old guys and i am paying attention, but the rest of the men kept whispering and werent really paying attention, like any other normal priesthood meeting.

But then the bishop asked Hno G to stand up to give a update on the obra misional. And so he stands up and starts telling everyone whats going on, and what we need them to do. But then he says ``But i have something a little more important that i want to talk about. Our good Friend Elder Crockett, has been keeping a secret from all of you. Over the past couple of weeks has had to make constant trips to the hospital, and in these trips we've learned that he was ``una Enfermadad Grave`` (In other words he literally told everyone that i was seriously sick)`` And then the room went totally silent, and everyone turns and starts looking at me, and there passes almost an entire min of everyone staring at me in complete silence without saying anything. Until one of my friends (one of the youth) asks ``What do you have?`` And so i said ``pneumonia``

And then everyone starts talking again, and are all saying how thats super dangerous, and even more so because i am here in Chile where it never stops raining, and that how that could make my infection worse, and kill me. But then Hno G starts talking again and everyone stops talking to listen to him, and he says ``Yes, but we all know Elder Crockett very well, and how faithful he is, and he has been walking around working with the sickness his entire time here in Puerto Varas, but its come to a point where he hasnt been able to leave in a couple of days due to how serious his sickness is, and he needs your help right now.``

Now right about now im thinking ``Oh my gosh Jaime (his first name) i`m totally fine, i havent felt better in a long time, i`ve literally used up all of the pills, and im pretty sure that my infection has died. I am totally fine. But then Hno G keeps going, and this next part doesnt make much sense of how it worked out.

He said ``And so right now he needs your help. And so i need a list of what days you are free from work, and what hours so you can go out to leave with the missionaries. And i want all of you in your quorums to make me the list and give it to me, and then i will email it to Elder Crockett so you will be able to go out to work with him``

And i am amazed at the response of the ward, because one of our biggest problems here is before i got here the members havent really done anything with missionary work. But the other sunday ( i didnt tell this story) i gave a talk in church in which i told the members that they need to be missionaries ( i actually mailed my talk to the Myers family, its in all spanish, and granted i didnt read my paper at all as i gave it, so its not exactly the same, but its close) But after i gave that talk, everyone started bringing friends to church, and then after Hno G made this little announcement, everyone started shouting out when they can leave with us, and so he had to calm them all down and tell them that they needed to make the list in the quorums and that he would send in to me.
I have no idea what the heck Jaime was thinking, and granted he only told the truth (from his perspective), but gosh the members are jumping alive.

Then all the men told their wives, so they are all giving me food now hahahaha.

There is a lot more that has but i`ll have to tell you those stories another day.

Love you all keep me posted on all of your Adventures!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment