Monday, March 31, 2014

NO Investigators? That can't happen.

Before i start i got the package It came at probably the most inconvenient time possible, but i got it so im happy. I got it just a few mins before leaving for the airport, and i had already sent away one of my suitcases away to arrive there early. So when i got the package i opened it up, and squished everything in between my backpack my carry on and the little amount of space i had left in my suitcase. I didnt really have time to enjoy anything until i got to puerto montt, and thank you i love everything. I want to use an exclamation point but my keyboard is broken and all the top row doesnt work.
Ok so this week has been quite a new experience for me. And it was really a sign to me about how much trust that the mission president really has in me.

I got to my new sector, and i was, and still am, super excited to start working here. So i drop off my bags in my new apartment, and i tell my companion that i want to visit all of our investigators so that i could get to know them. And then  there was kind of a awkward silence and he said ``Umm, thats just the thing...We dont exactly have any investigators...´´. And started telling me about how Pichipelluco was a really hard sector to work in and that there wasnt very many people to work with here. And then offered to show me around the sector so that i could get to know it. So i said ya, and we walked around the sector for a couple hours, doing absolutely NOTHING. 

We get home and we start planning, and so i ask my companion who he wanted to visit, and he could not think of anyone. No investigators, no less active members, no partial member families, and no active members either. He couldnt think of anyone to visit. So we didnt plan, because we had no one.

The next morning for my personal study, i break out the area book, right away my companion told me that he doesnt know what was in there because he had never had to write anything in there. not even once. So i bust it open, and i spend a little bit more than an hour reading all of the teaching records from old investigators from before the area was closed (oh little known fact, the missionaries were taken out of my area a couple of months ago, and my current companion was assigned to re open it with his old companion, but neither of them was really motivated, you could say and so nothing happened.} So i wrote down all of their addresses in my planner, i then studied every signed progress record that missionaries have filled out in the past year, and any person and address that was there that wasnt in the teaching records i write down in my planner as well.

When we left to work we dedicated the entire day to visiting the people who i had written down in my planner. And every time we didnt find the person we were looking for, we would knock doors until we found someone we could teach. And that went on for a couple of days. And good news we have investigators now. 

Now i am incredibly grateful to God that he helped us find so many people so quick. My new companion Elder Munoz, from Rancagua Chile, is now super excited and hes expressed to me that he is teaching more with me in one day than what he was doing with his old companion in an entire week. When he told me that at first i thought in was an exaggeration, but i am the district leader here so i have access to all of the numbers of all the missionaries in my district, and it was true haha.

Now from that part of my story it sounds like this past week has all been just fun and games being guided by the spirit the whole time. And it was like that, but man i dont think i have ever had more spiritual tests in my entire mission, or temptations either. First of all my new sector is mainly college housing. And well i dont need to get into talking about how College girls in Chile react when I knock their doors. Not saying im super awesome or attractive or anything, but some are just TOO receptive, to put it like that. Dont get me wrong i have found a couple of girls who i think want to talk to us for a legitimate desire to learn about Christ. But there was some where i doubt that.

Another challenge. Right now i am in charge of 4 Elders (including myself} and 5 sisters. And we are all working in the same ward. Now the sisters are awesome, but a little fact about one of them is there is one that when i first met her, i forced myself to never talk to her, and avoid her at pretty much all costs just so that i would stay focused. And that worked out pretty well for me, up until now, where i have almost daily contact with her. And i am still in my dont talk to her mode, but now its in a dont talk to her unless its 100 percent necessary mode. And i could go into that more, and how its not really working out too well, but i am choosing not to haha. 
But good news she in ending her mission in 2 weeks, and so its just a short time of fighting against myself in pretty much every single moment in church, in activities, and when i see them ever day. I am pretty dang sure that the only reason why i have this problem is because the mission president (who knows me pretty well) and God just wanted to test me. And guess what, im going to pass my test. I have too much work to do here to let myself get distracted

And there is a bunch of other little things that i want to talk about, but i will choose not too mainly for time.

I am really glad though for this experience, because i am growing a lot here. At least thats what i tell myself haha. I am really glad that i am here with all of my little tests right now though and not at the begging of my mission. Because i am 100 percent sure that i was not strong enough to have to deal with so much when i started my mission.

Welps i love you all thanks for all the birthday wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment