Monday, May 13, 2013

Mother's Day




Hey Kristen you should send me your mission home address so i can write you.
Kyle i have a letter in the mail for you. If you want to write me before it gets to you my address is
Hamilton Crockett
Casilla 7-0
Osorno
Chile

It was great to talk to you yesterday! It was really funny right after i got off skype i turned to my companion and said ´´Chuta es tan difícil para hablar en inglés´´ hahaha (good heavens, it's hard to speak in English) 
 
But for my email today i am going to tell you about how i ended up starting up a ward choir haha. So a couple of days ago the branch president called me and asked me to do a musical number for mothers day, just me my companion and the sisters. And so i told them i would, and called the hermanas and asked them if they could come to the church before the English class that i teach, so we could practice. So we were practicing, and none of the Hermanas could really sing it. The two gringas had a hard time saying the words, and the hermana from paraguay had never heard the song we sang (Allí donde hay amor) And so i was trying hto help all of them, when all my student from my english class started coming. And the Hermanas asked them for help too. 
 
Which was not the greatest idea they have ever had because all Chileans are tone deaf. The is absolutely no exaggeration in that sentence haha. So what should have only took a couple of mins to get a couple of people sing a primary song, turned into 2 hours of elder Crockett helping Chileans sing. And oh my goodness it was so funny. I am looking forward to the day i die, when i can have a perfect remembrance of my life, because i am going to watch us practice that piece a couple of times because it was just ridiculous how terrible it sounded haha But like i said when we were Skyping is apparently God blessed us with a small degree of musical talent and so it sounded alright haha. The president was talking about having the choir do another musical number sometime, hopefully i get moved out of Paillaco before that though, because without me and my companion it would fall apart haha
 
But after we finished Skyping i decided that we should probably go visit a sister who lives in a retirement home here (or the south american equivalent of one) And it was really nice. The sister i met was the first member of the church here in Paillaco, and has been an active member of the church up until when she was almost 90 years old when there wasn´t anyone left to take care of her so she went to the hogar de los ancianos. And i just talked with her about her life, she really appreciated it. I bring her the sacrament almost every sunday, and have given her a priesthood blessing once when she got really sick. But i never really talked to her. But she is a great lady.
We then had two baptismal interviews planned for that night too, but due to a couple of scheduling problems we are going to have them this after noon.
 
One thing that i forgot to tell you about though last night is that a couple of days ago we had a zone conference, where all the missionaries from the northern half of our mission was there, and president Rappley, my mission president, revealed to us a new program that we are going to start using to solve the problem of the 90 percent inactivity rate we have here in Chile. And i am really excited to use it, because i have had to re activate people the hard way the past 4 months, and this new program is clearly inspired by God. It was alot to do with asignaciones, and miembros. I should be getting a bunch of paperwork for it in the beginning of June. And then i will be able to start working with it. It will be great.
 
So just a couple last things. Last night i made a couple of jokes about how i was happy ´´Today´´ I just wanted to let you know that i really am happy pretty much all the time here. Somedays im not sure how, because i´m constantly wet, cold, and tired. But somewhere in between those i have a ton to be grateful for. And it´s really clear to me that this is exactly where God needs me to be, and so He´s been doing a pretty good job taking care of me. Even those days where i´m in the hospital, or can´t leave the house for an entire week, and am literally alone for days at a time without talking to anyone. 
 
And i told Truman yesterday that the best thing he could do to prepare for his mission was to actually read the Book of Mormon. I cannot stress that enough. The first time i read it through my time here on the mission it was a little harder, because it wasn´t anything super special for me yet. And i just kind of looked at it as a really good book that occasionally made me feel good about myself. But the second time i read it though (still in the process) it is clearly the word of God. I don´t think i read it with the right focus my first time though. But this is my email to you today. Love you all! I love hearing from you. Keep my posted with everything that is going on. 
 
And also now if there is any questions or stories you want to hear more about let me know and ill send more about them to you. Love you!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment