Thursday, February 7, 2013

Week 1 !!!

  • Week 1!!!‏

11:57 AM
I survived week one!!! Just kidding it wasn't even bad! I have been having so much fun up here! My first day here, I arrived a day earlier than the  rest of the American missionaries, so i was pared up with a group of foreign missionaries, who where all going to greece on their missions! And they we some of the nicest people i have ever met! And even though there was Quite the language barrier between us we still all became awesome friends instantly! My funniest story about them though is, The first night i was here there was a devotional that a general authority was coming to talk to us, so everyone from the entire MTC wanted to come. And So in order for a normal person to get a seat they have to be there at least 45 mins early. Well, all of the foreign missionaries have a reserved section of seats to sit in, so they could have access  to the interpretation head sets, and sense i has part of the district with all the foreign missionaries i got to sit in the reserved seats too! So we walk into the auditorium like 5 mins before the devotional started, and so everything was packed except for our reserved seats. So we all go to sit down, and we have a couple of mins before the devotional was going to start, so I decided that i was going to get some practice with taking my name tag on and off my jacket. So i take it off easily but when i am trying to put it back on my finger slips of one of the corners and it snaps out of my hand and goes flying across the auditorium!!! And it hits an elder from Japan right in the face hahaha. And so i assumed he spoke some english so i tried to apologize, only to find out that he hardly understand any English! So i am there trying to tell him i am sorry and ask if i can have my name tag back, but i realize that there is only one way tom communicate with him... Charades. So i stand up in my seat and start acting out the story of what happened with another name tag that i had, and was jumping around and dancing like a fool! And every single one of the elders that i was pared up with was busting up laughing! And after a couple mins of this little game, on of the Tongan elders that i was with tells me that he knows Japanese!!!! I was a little angry that he didn't speak up mins earlier, but i was so grateful that he knew Japaneses! So he tells the Elder that i hit in the face what happened, and then he just starts busting up laughing too! He then handed my name tag back. After that experience i decided that i am never going to take my name tag off of my jacket, and instead get a magnetic name tag that i could take on and off of my shirts, just so i can take my tag off whenever i need to.
The next morning I was taken away from the foreign missionaries because my companion had just arrived at the MTC. So it was a little sad, but i still see them every day during dinner so i get to talk to them for a couple of mins before i need to run off to any of my appointments. But i love my companion, me and him became friends instantly!!! His first week here was really rough, and so it pretty much forced me to grow up really fast, and not be homesick or anything like that anymore because he needed me alot. And I just wrote a letter home to Truman this morning, and it tells one of the stories about him in it. It's not super in depth or anything like that but it is still a pretty good story!.
So one thing that i am really grateful for is that i have only been called to Speak Spanish for my mission! Last night my companion and i were in a computer lab together working on some español when two sister missionaries come and sit down next to us. And you know how i am, so naturally i feel inclined to move onto some really cool sounded phrases that would make me look freaking cool speaking spanish. So i start cool speaking spanish, and one of the sisters turns and looks at me (her name was Sister Fuller, not that it changes the story or anything), and she starts busting out talking to me in Mandarin Chinese!!! So i was taken back for just a second ( because Mandarin is easily a harder sounding language), but i refuse to give her the victory, so i bust out something else in Spanish, and for almost 10 mins me and her are just going back and forth having this little competitive who's language sounds cooler competition, and eventually it gets to the point where i can not keep a straight face anymore, so i just start busting up laughing, and then i give her props for being such a boss with Mandarin! (P.S. While i was typing this she came by and sat down, I am so glad that she isn't reading over my shoulder like a creeper right now! hahaha)
But on the topic of language Spanish is coming so great for me!!! Every day i have to teach an investigator, and i am only aloud to speak in spanish. And my first lesson was terrible! I literally had to read straight out of preach my gospel the entire time! And whenever Daniel (my first "investigator") had a question for me, i would have no idea what he was saying!!! And so i would pretty much just say yes and then move on. And it was terrible! But by by my third lesson with him i could speak in spanish for the entire time without having to look at Preach my gospel or anything! And i could understand everything he said! And so i could ask him sincere questions, and then listen to his answers! It is so much fun! I love speaking in spanish!
Hey i´´m out of time on the computer, but I will keep you posted! P.S. I loved getting those letters from you and Susie! Love you All!

No comments:

Post a Comment